April 19, 2023
An Invitation to Volunteer with Lamaze International – There Is a Place for You
By: Sharon Muza, BS, CD/BDT(DONA), LCCE, FACCE, CLE | 0 Comments
April 2023 is the fourth annual observation of Global Volunteer Month, dedicated to celebrating and recognizing the extraordinary impact of volunteers around the world. Global organizations depend on the time, skill and resources of their volunteers to make a positive difference in the lives of others. In the United States, April 16th through April 22nd is observed as National Volunteer Week. These annual recognition periods serve as a reminder of the importance of volunteering and the incredible benefits it brings to both individuals and communities. Volunteering not only helps others but can have a significant impact on the volunteers themselves. Research shows that volunteering has been proven to boost mental health, increase happiness, and improve overall well-being. (Yeung JWK, Zhang Z, Kim TY, 2017)
Volunteers provide critical support to our non-profit organization, Lamaze International. Our mission is to advance safe and healthy pregnancy, birth and early parenting through evidence-based education and advocacy. This perinatal organization is run by volunteers, from leadership at the Board of Directors level, to various council and committee positions, to people who step up to serve in a volunteer capacity in order to meet an immediate and very short-term need.
If you are a current or past volunteer with Lamaze in any capacity, know that your efforts are valued and appreciated. This organization could not do the work it does without the presence of our volunteers who are smart and resourceful and help us in so many ways. We are grateful every single day for what you bring to our organization and you are very much appreciated.
If you are interested in volunteering, know that your skills and wisdom are critical to our organization’s success. If you're looking for motivation to volunteer, consider the following:
- You have the power to make a difference! Volunteering provides you with the opportunity to contribute to positive change and create a lasting impact in the lives of growing families.
- Volunteering allows you to develop new skills, gain experiences, and broaden your perspective, which can boost your personal and professional growth and create new opportunities for yourself both professionally and personally.
- Volunteering allows you to connect with like-minded individuals, build relationships, and create a supportive community.
- Volunteering promotes a sense of social responsibility and civic engagement, allowing you to be an active participant in improving maternal-infant health.
- Volunteering begets volunteering by setting a positive example for others, inspiring people to get involved and make a difference in the organization.
You can find out all the different ways to get involved with Lamaze International by accessing volunteer opportunities on our website. There is room for people to support all aspects of the organization, from advocacy, to furthering our DEI goals, to supporting new educators and so much more. Fresh ideas and new people are what help to keep this organization relevant and vibrant and allows us to continue to serve both consumers and professionals. You are invited to apply to serve in a role that feels right to you.
Yeung JWK, Zhang Z, Kim TY. Volunteering and health benefits in general adults: cumulative effects and forms. BMC Public Health. 2017 Jul 11;18(1):8. doi: 10.1186/s12889-017-4561-8. Erratum in: BMC Public Health. 2017 Sep 22;17 (1):736. PMID: 28693551; PMCID: PMC5504679.
TagsLamaze International Volunteer Opportunities Sharon Muza