NOTE: With the uncertain duration of the unprecedented situation caused by the current COVID-19 pandemic, Lamaze International is proud to be able to offer a remote exam proctoring service through Examity, allowing you to take the exam in the comfort and convenience of your own home! (Please note that all candidates wishing to use the remote proctoring service must have internet access and a tablet, laptop computer, or workstation with a working web camera.) If you are interested in utilizing this option, simply select “Remote Exam Proctoring” within the Testing Site Confirmation form.
The certification exam takes place two times a year — in April/May and October/November. Exams in languages other than English are available by request in November only.
2020 Exam Testing Windows
(International & Alternate Sites)
The LCCE Educator Certification Exam is given through TesTrac.com, which offers several convenient options for testing locations. Within two weeks of your exam application approval, you will receive an email to select your preferred testing option listed below and specific testing date. Note that you will only be able to secure a date and location once you receive this email.
Testing Site Questions or Changes: Call TesTrac at 952-997-0641 at least two weeks before the exam date window opens.
Testing site options include:
- NEW! Examity: Remote Exam Proctoring Service in the convenience of your own home, office or other approved testing setting that meets the following specifications:
- Internet access
- Tablet, laptop computer or workstation with working camera
- Book a reservation online at the TesTrac scheduling site
- Prior to the day of testing, re-enter site and click on “Open Portal” to connect to Examity to setup your security profile and test your computers compatibility.
- On day of testing, re-enter site to connect to Examity to begin your test.
- TesTrac/PSI Testing Centers locations are listed on the PSI website. If you elect this option, PSI will send a confirmation email that will include:
- Basic instructions
- The URL to enter the PSI reservation site
- Your TesTrac log-in ID and password
Alternate Testing Site with an Independent Proctor may be arranged if you cannot take advantage of remote exam proctoring, or if you are outside the United States and more than 150 miles away from a TesTrac/PSI testing center.
- You must contact the Lamaze Office at least ten weeks prior to the exam date (by the alternate site deadline) and are responsible for identifying an approved exam proctor an appropriate test site, with a computer available, and approved proctor.
- The proctor must not be an LCCE educator, relative or person who presents a conflict of interest (such as an employer). It is preferred that the test site be an educational setting conducive to test taking.
- The following form must be submitted at least six weeks prior to the exam date.
The exam contains 165 multiple-choice questions, which must be completed within three hours. The Exam Blueprint provides a breakdown of the content covered on the exam.
The cost for United States candidates is $395. Find costs for candidates outside the United States.
The fee includes Lamaze International membership for three years, pending successful completion of the exam.
Exam application fees are non-refundable. All Lamaze International Childbirth Educator Certification policies, fees and requirements are subject to change without notice.
If a candidate does not successfully pass the exam, they are eligible to retake it in any language and in any form (CBT and PBT) as early as the next time the selected language is offered. There is no required waiting period and no limit on the amount of times a candidate can retake the exam. The retake fee is $170 for Lamaze Members and $270 for Non-Members.
If a candidate needs to cancel or transfer their application to the next exam date, they must submit a request via email at least two weeks prior to the exam date. Candidates may defer or transfer their exam application and fee for up to two exam periods. Each exam deferral will incur a $75 fee due prior to the next exam. There are no refunds for Certificate Exam payments. Exam cancellations and transfers are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Questions: Questions reflect essential information that a childbirth educator should know. Lamaze Certified Childbirth Educators from around the world work together to develop the test questions (items). The Certification Council makes the final selection of questions for an item bank. The level of difficulty of the item is identified at the time it is written. In general, the items that require some level of analysis, rather than simple recall of information, are considered more difficult.
Difficulty Rating: Distracters for each question are rated. A question that has more “sophisticated” distracters that require a higher level of knowledge is rated as more difficult. At least 30 percent of the questions on the certification exam are application questions that require analysis, rather than simple recall of information.
Passing Score: The passing score for the certification exam is different each time the exam is given. After each administration, a psychometrician completes a statistical analysis. The committee reviews the statistics for each test question and if a particular question does not “perform” well, it is eliminated from the scoring. The level of difficulty of the remaining items determines the passing score.
Score Standard: An important feature of this exam is that those who take the exam are not compared to each other. Rather, individuals are compared to a standard, which is based on the level of difficulty of each test item. The passing score on the exam has ranged from 70 percent to 79 percent. More detailed information regarding scoring is provided on the score report that each candidate receives following the test administration.
Still have questions? Our certification team is here to help! Email us at email@example.com.