Council and Committee Rosters
Purpose: To act on behalf of the Board of Directors when the board is not in session and within the scope established in the Lamaze International Bylaws.
Accreditation Council Governing Body
Purpose: Serves as the standard-setting body for accreditation of Lamaze Childbirth Educator Programs and outside organizations seeking Lamaze contact hours for educational offerings; makes policy decisions relating to accreditation matters.
Certification Council Governing Body
Purpose: Serves as the standard-setting body for Lamaze certification and makes policy decisions relating to certification matters.
- Elizabeth (Betsy) Armstrong, Certification Council Chair
- Betsy Armstrong, Chair / Public Member
- Judy Lothian, Exam Construction Chair
- Wendy Budin, Item Writing Committee Chair
- Cara Terreri, At-Large Member
- Debra McAllister, At-Large Member
- Barbara Hotelling, At-Large Member
- Eileen DiFrisco At-Large Member
- Maria Brooks, Education Council Chair (non-voting)
- Michele Deck, Accreditation Council Chair (non-voting)
Education Council Governing Body
Purpose: Responsible for developing, implementing, and evaluating professional education programs that promote childbirth educator training and development. Makes policy decisions related to professional education programs.
Purpose: Makes recommendations to the Board of Directors regarding the annual budget, selection of financial audit firm and investment manager, financial policies and transfers.
- Tanya Strusberg, Secretary/Treasurer, Chair
- Christen Sadler, President
- Alice Turner, President Elect
- Liz DeMaere, Past President
- Kacy Cutler, Elected Director-at-Large
Purpose: Actively seeks out leadership candidates for the Board of Directors and other key leadership positions, reviews their qualifications, and recommends candidates for the election slate or appointment in accordance with the Lamaze International Bylaws and procedures established by the Board of Directors.
Research Working Group
Purpose: The Lamaze Childbirth Education Research Initiative was developed to facilitate research into childbirth education that investigates: Evaluation of childbirth education accessibility, effectiveness, acceptability, return on investment and quality; Best practices for delivering and receiving childbirth education; Parent knowledge of evidence-based birth and breastfeeding practices.
Diversity + Outreach
Diversity and inclusion are strategic priorities for Lamaze International. This committee has been established to doing something meaningful and transformative with community-led action and leadership with the goal of building a diverse Lamaze membership that is a reflection of the communities we wish to serve.
- Tara Owens Shuler, Chair
- LaToya Murray-Johnson, Member
- Tara Shuler, Member
- Kate Luxion, Member
- Taiwo Ajao, Member
- Robin Pitts, Member
- Chama Woydak, Member
- Ngozi Tibbs, Board Liaison
- Mary Duke, Board Liaison
Advocacy + Collaboration
Advocacy and collaboration have long been strategic priorities for Lamaze International. This committee has been established to focus on advocating for safe and healthy birth practices through access to evidence-based childbirth education for all expecting parents on local, national and international levels.
- Jill Wodnick, Chair
- Tonya Daniel, Member
- Sujata Gami, Member
- Melissa Gonzalez, Member
- Sarah Paksima, Member
- Blake Slusser, Member
- Sherri Wilkerson, Member
- Liz DeMaere, Board Liaison
- Brenda Kirkpatrick, Board Liaison