Pregnant? Read this Book About Birth First, Early & Often
The guide will help you simplify the amazing process of pregnancy, labor and birth offering women and their partners trusted information to understand options and confidence to make decisions that support the safest, healthiest birth possible.
Authors Judith Lothian, RN, PhD, LCCE, FACCE, FAAN, and Charlotte DeVries take the best, current research on how to have a safe and healthy birth and present it in an easy-to-understand way, leaving you with practical and actionable steps put into practice right away. Giving Birth with Confidence uncomplicates birth, allowing you to feel empowered, informed, and confident rather than overwhelmed and fearful. Read more about the book on our Giving Birth with Confidence blog.
In this new edition, we have included updated evidence and information on:
- How vaginal birth, keeping mother and baby together, and breastfeeding help to build the baby's microbiome.
- How hormones naturally start and regulate labor and release endorphins to help alleviate pain.
- Maternity-care practices that can disrupt the body's normal functioning
- The latest recommendations on lifestyle issues like alcohol, vitamins, and caffeine.
- Room sharing and co-sleeping: the controversy, recommendations, and safety guidelines.
- Out-of-hospital births are on the rise: New research and advice on planning home birth, including ACOG's revised guidelines, which support women's choices and promote seamless transfer to hospital, if needed.
- The importance of avoiding unnecessary cesareans for mother and child. Includes the new ACOG guidelines on inductions and active labor.
- The research in support of the Lamaze International's "Six Healthy Birth Practices."
Even if you think you've read all the birth books you need, take a look at Giving Birth with Confidence - you won't regret it!