March 20, 2020
Attend Childbirth Classes Virtually During Coronavirus Pandemic
By: Cara Terreri | 0 Comments
With worldwide quarantines, social distancing, and lockdowns currently taking place to prevent the further spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus), citizens are left wondering how to carry out everyday activities and plans. This includes taking childbirth classes. Around the world, thousands of people sign up for and take in-person childbirth classes, like a Lamaze class, to better prepare and increase confidence for birth, breastfeeding, postpartum, and early parenthood.
In-person classes are invaluable not just because of the quality of the education, but because learning is easily achieved with hands-on demonstration and practice, and because of the valuable person-to-person connections they provide. Because in-person classes are not currently advisable for safe health reasons, childbirth educators are providing families with these resources by doing the next best thing: live online virtual classes. Live, online classes give you live access to your teacher, but from the comfort and safety of your own home.
This virtual class format, of course, is not new -- many Lamaze Certified Childbirth Educators (LCCE), for example, have been providing live online classes as part of their regular offerings for years. For those new to the format, Lamaze International is providing helpful resources to get educators up-to-speed as quickly as possible so that you can still receive the high quality education you deserve for childbirth and beyond.
If you have not yet scheduled a childbirth education class for your upcoming birth, look for educators in your area. Find out if they are offering virtual classes during the pandemic. If you've already booked a class, your teacher has likely communicated to you about classes moving to an online format. If they haven't yet reached out, contact your educator and ask about the back-up plan for in-person classes. If your in-person classes have been canceled altogether, look for other childbirth educators in your area. There's a good chance you'll find others who have moved to a virtual class format. You can find Lamaze educators in your area here.
Before you attend a live online childbirth class, we've prepared a few tips to help make your virtual class experience as seamless and useful as possible.
Tips for Attending Live Virtual Childbirth Class
- Depending on your internet speed, you may need to ask others in your house to stop using their devices so as to prevent lagging and glitches.
- Close down all other open windows, programs, and apps on your laptop or computer (or phone) to prevent lag.
- Your instructor may mail you handouts or other learning items prior to the start of your class. Have those ready.
- Prepare a comfortable spot prior to the start of class. Have water and perhaps a small snack nearby. Turn off your phone and other devices (if possible) to minimize distractions.
- If you have others in your household (adults or children), try and find a quiet area to attend your class. If possible, arrange for a helper to watch younger children.
- Prior to class, make sure you have all the technical information you need to connect. If you've never used the platform your teacher is using, bring it up before class and play around in it to get familiar with the format, or watch a short and simple tutorial about it on YouTube.
- Your instructor may request you gather "props" from your house to use during learning activities in class. Have those ready before class begins.
- Your class will most likely be available by recording if you miss it or want to go back and review. Ask your teacher about recordings.
- Feel free to speak up and ask questions just like you would during a live class. Your teacher will likely go over at the beginning of class how best to ask questions, depending on the format of the platform that's being used.
- Make sure to let your instructor know if you can't hear or see them.
TagsLamaze Childbirth Education Lamaze Educators Online ChildBirth Education COVID-19 Coronavirus Virtual Childbirth Classes