In recognition of International Midwifery Week, Giving Birth with Confidence gives a shout-out and huge applause to all of the incredible midwives that serve women around the world. Your work and care is necessary and appreciated!What does it mean to work with a midwife? According to the American College of Nurse-Midwives, midwives:Believe the best model of health care for a woman and her family:
- Promotes a continuous and compassionate partnership
- Acknowledges a person's life experiences and knowledge
- Includes individualized methods of care and healing guided by the best evidence available
- Involves therapeutic use of human presence and skillful communication
Honor the normalcy of women's lifecycle events. They believe in:
- Watchful waiting and non-intervention in normal processes
- Appropriate use of interventions and technology for current or potential health problems
- Consultation, collaboration and referral with other members of the health care team as needed to provide optimal health care
Do you love your midwife and want to do more to promote midwifery awareness? Consider joining Team Midwife to help other women learn about the great care that midwives offer.
Did you work with a midwife for your birth? How was your experience? Leave a comment to let us know!