I'm so excited to share with you the news that not only does Lamaze have a new online class called Prepared for Pregnancy: Start Off Right, but right now through Labor Day, it is FREE! This go-at-your-own pace online class, which is normally offered at $29.95, is the perfect primer to help you get your pregnancy on the right track even before it begins. This class was created for families wondering if they should try to get pregnant, those who are actively trying, and those who recently saw a BFP (big fat positive) on their pregnancy test. It would also be helpful for expectant moms who are later in their first or second trimester and feel they may not have gotten off to the best start and want to change their habits for the rest of pregnancy.
Having just "sat through" the class myself, I'm going to share with you an overview of what's covered and then pointers on what I felt was most helpful and why. Here's the general overview of topics in Prepared for Pregnancy: Start Off Right:
- Preparing your body and mind for pregnancy
- Considerations during pregnancy - exercise, diet, stress
- Pregnancy hormones - what they do and why
- Trimesters of pregnancy - baby's development & what you might be feeling
- Bonding with your baby - it can start before birth!
- Getting educated about pregnancy and birth - resources for more info & education
While this class helps answer many questions about prepregnancy and pregnancy, the overarching theme and question this class helps you answer is the all-important, "Am I ready to have a baby?" Of course, nothing or no one can give you a definitive answer, but the class provides an objective snapshot of what to consider when deciding about pregnancy and how best to prepare yourself.
Prepared for Pregnancy also answers some of the most pressing questions women have surrounding a healthy pregnancy, including specific recommendations on what to eat and how much, and evidence-based information on the safety of exercise.
The other hugely important piece in this class is specific questions to ask to find the best care provider for your pregnancy. The right care provider is critical to achieving a healthy and safe birth. The earlier in pregnancy -- or prepregnancy -- you can select a care provider in line with your preferences and who practices evidence-based care, the better off you will be throughout pregnancy, in birth, and postpartum. Upon completion of the class, several resources (including free ones!) are provided for furthering your prenatal education.
In short, when you complete this class, you will be able to:
- Select an appropriate health care provider for your maternity care
- Learn what physical and emotional changes you can expect in the early weeks
- Make healthy and safe nutritional choices that meet the needs of your pregnant body
- Choose exercises and physical activity that support a healthy pregnancy
- Identify warning signs and know when to contact your provider
- Identify community resources that can help during pregnancy and early parenting
And remember, Prepared for Pregnancy: Start Off Right is FREE until Labor Day (September 7, 2015), so you don't have much to lose by signing up! Go on over and take a look... and please give us your feedback!