May 24, 2019
All the Doula Interview Questions You Need to Ask (and Then Some...)
By: Cara Terreri | 0 Comments
To wrap up our series of doula content this month in celebration of International Doula Month, we're sharing all of the possible doula interview questions you ever needed (and some you may not). Keep in mind that everyone's priorities are different when it comes to hiring a doula, and so some of the following questions may not be applicable or important.
To learn about their style/personality/approach:
- What is your philosophy on birth?
- Why did you become a doula? What do you love most?
- Tell me how you work with birthing families while in labor.
- Are there practices you do not readily or happily support during labor/birth, like epidural, cesarean, induction?
- How do you involve/include my partner during labor and birth?
- What's your relationship like with care providers and hospital staff?
- How do you handle the unexpected in birth?
- What do you bring with you to a birth?
- What techniques do you use to help me through labor and birth?
Experience and training:
- How long have you been practicing? how many births have you attended?
- Tell me about your training (from which organization, for how long, etc.).
- Are you certified? From where?
- What do you do to stay current with your knowledge and/or certification?
- Do you have any extra/special skills or certifications outside of labor and birth support?
- Do you help with breastfeeding? What's your experience and training with breastfeeding?
- Have you attended a birth at my chosen birth location (specific hospital or birth center, or at home)?
- Do you have reviews written about you or references I can speak to?
- What is your full fee? What services does your fee include?
- Do you offer any add-on services?
- Is your fee due in full or do you have a payment schedule?
- How much of a deposit is due and when?
- Do you offer full or partial refunds for any reasons?
- Do you offer any financial assistance/scholarships/discounts?
- What happens if you can't make it to my birth?
- What happens if you have two people in labor at the same time?
- What if I give birth before you arrive?
- Do you work solo or with another doula(s)?
- What's your back up arrangement like? Do I get to meet her?
- How many prenatal meetings and postpartum visits do you provide?
- When do you go on call for me?
- What if I go into labor before or after your on-call time?
- When will you join me in labor?
- How long after I give birth do you stay with me?
- Can I call you at any time, or do you have "office hours"?
Questions to ask yourself (to make a decision):
- Did the doula's answers and experience meet my priorities?
- Did I "click" with this doula?
- Did I feel comfortable with this doula? Did my partner?
- How would I compare each doula's level of knowledge and experience?
- Is there one doula who stood out -- why?
- Do I feel confident about this doula's abilities?
- Do I think this doula would work well with staff and care providers?
- What's my gut telling me?