I am currently 31 weeks into a so-far normal uncomplicated 2nd pregnancy. I am in the "high-risk" category at my ob/gyn clinic due to our first pregnancy ending at 40 weeks and a few days in a stillbirth due to unknown cord accident. That pregnancy was also completely normal and uncomplicated.
My ob/gyn has given us the option to take a steroid "celestone" (not sure about the spelling) just in case the baby runs into any trouble and is born prematurely either on her own or thru an induction or emergency c-section in case of fetal distress. Our doctor knows we want to avoid an induction if at all possible.
I've tried to find more information on this and found the Childbith connection website which makes a decent case for using corticosteroids and the drugs.com website which was a little more nerve-wracking along with one or two other sites that were less helpful. Our doc wants us to decide before we get to 34 weeks since after that she didn't see the benefit of using celestone.
My question is: have you seen any other research into the pros and cons of this particular steroid and its effects on the baby at any stage between 31 and 40 weeks?
We're trying to make the best decision for our baby and any of your thoughts on this would be appreciated.