Make a Donation
     Connect with UsFacebookTwitterYouTube
    Google Custom Search

    Questions? Ask Henci!

    Find out what other moms-to-be are asking. Join in the discussion with Henci Goer, whose expertise is determining what the research tells us best promotes safe, healthy birth. If you would like to contact Henci outside of the Ask Henci forum, send an email to

    You must establish a username and password to participate in the Ask Henci forum, click here to submit your request.

    Mar 30

    What is I dont go into labor after my water breaks?

    Archived User

    My husband and I are planning our sencond child.  With our first we had the whole in the hospital, being induced, epidural, experience.  This time we want an all natural birth at a birthing center with a midwife.

    My concern is that, like my first child, my water will break and i wont go into labor and the midwife will transfer me to a hospitall after 24 hours.  If the babys heart rate is monitored is it safe to wait longer than that?  I really want a as natural as possible experience. 

    When my mother gave birth to my brother and me she had the same issue, her water broke with both of us and they let her wait 24 hours and then they induced.

    Henci Goer

    If that is the birth center's policy, I think you are stuck with it. But to answer your question, yes, it is safe to wait for onset of labor if your water breaks. If you test positive for group B strep, though, you should have antibiotic treatment.

    ~ Henci

    All Times America/New_York

    Forum Disclaimer

    Please note that this Forum is intended to help women make informed decisions about their care. The content is not a substitute for medical advice.

    Copyright 2015 Lamaze International. All rights reserved. Privacy Statement | Terms of Use