When I deleted your accidental post, it took the whole thread with it, including your completed post. Fortunately, the post had been sent to my e-mail, and it was short enough that it was included in its entirety. I have copied it in here. I'll respond to it later today when I have more time.
Subject: RE: Reasons for stalled labour
My apology for hitting the submit button accidentally;P
I am a doula and supported an attempted VBAC. Mum had a hind water leak and contractions followed. After checking into the hospital, she was only 3 cm dilated.She only reached 5cm after 10 hours. The proposal to augment labour was brought up but mum refused for fear of fetal distress and uterine rupture. She was still coping well physically; nibbling and drinking . She decided to wait. She remained the same after another 7 hours. Throughout, she was mobile, adopting various postions like squating , lunging, on her fours and laboured in the tub, walking etc. No intervention was done except for the 4 hourly, 30 minute EFM. The OB suggested an emergency C-section after a vaginal exam and mentioned that the baby's head was still high and the cervix was swollen. Another concern was the trace on the EFM showed no 'beat to beat variability" .
Previously for her first labour, the mum also stalled at 6cm but had epidural and synto. when she was 4 cm.Her waters released on its own. Baby was posterior and asynclitic.
My question is,
Could she have a successful VBAC if she had consented to an augmentation with epidural at 5 cm earlier?
Could she be given more time since there was no intervention done to her?
Is a swollen cervix an indicator of uterine rupture, a reason for emergency C section? Or CPD?
From what I understand from the book, " HOME BIRTH BOUND" by Maggie Banks, for 30% of the time, between 36-42weeks gestation, the unborn baby will be in quiet state and there will be very little variation in his heart rate pattern and no rapid eye movement. So could the trace be a false ' positive'?