I'm Ruby, and while I've read your book "Thinking Woman's Guide" a few years back, I have just found this forum today. I'm wondering if you can offer an opinion and/or links to any research relevant to my situation.
I had a LUCS in 2003 with my firstborn 46.5 hours after ruptured membranes and failed active management (synto for 17 hours etc). I don't think I was physically ready for labour, and after conversations with a midwife, think it is likely I had a fluid leak rather than ruptured membranes. Still, we had fought hard (which wasn't fun) to delay, delay, delay all interventions.
In 2006, I again fought for one-to-one midwifery care and planned a homebirth. First sign of labour again was broken membranes, but labour started naturally. Stalled after 17 hours or so, at same dilation (4cm) as with No. 1. Ended up transferring and having a non-emergency casear. Found out some 6 or 7 months later that No. 2 had craniosynostosis (premature fusion of skull sutures) and that most babies with cranio are casear born.
I now feel conflicted - plan for the best damn c/sec, or plan for another VBAC. I would like 1-to-1 care, but it is impossible legally in my region - a midwife cannot be privately employed. A doula is a possibility, but I have had such exceptional midwifery care, it's hard to think about that, too. So I a, currently going through the Australian public system, under the "care" of an interventionist Ob who is not supportive of VBA2Vs (the only woman she "allowed" to labour after 2 caesars ended up with a dead baby. Our first appointment was truly a joy...).
This pregnancy is twins, and Baby 1 is currently breech (at 31 weeks) but not engaged. If the babe stays butt down, I think I will plan a c/sec at 40 weeks. Both of our children were born at 40 weeks (and a couple of days). However, I would like to have good peer reviewed info to show the Ob that going into labour bnaturally/in the babies time is the best thing to do. It is my gut feeling that it is, but I can't find researched proof that waiting for labour before having a c/sec is best.
I also feel inclined to labour at home for as long as possible before transferring, if (and really only if) Baby 1 is head down and it is earlier than 40 weeks, because I think a VBAC might be more successful in that case.
I know you can't make a decision for me, but if you've got the time to offer your thoughts, I would really appreciate it.