Official Lamaze Guide
Finally, a book that tells you what to expect, not what to fear, during pregnancy and birth! In this new edition of The Official Lamaze® Guide: Giving Birth with Confidence, by Judith Lothian RN, PhD, LCCE, FACCE and Charlotte DeVries, present childbearing as a simple, healthy process instead of an experience fraught with danger.
Written in plain English for moms-to-be, the authors tell women about:
- How simply pregnancy and birth unfold when allowed to progress naturally
- What can disrupt the natural course of birth
- Information on maternity care to help readers choose a caregiver and birth site
- Research evidence about pregnancy, labor, and birth, to help women distinguish fact from fiction
- Practical strategies for communicating and negotiating with medical caregivers
This book is an essential resource for all expectant parents who want to make decisions they feel confident about for a safe, healthy pregnancy and birth, and the best start for their baby.
The book retails for $12.00 and is available at bookstores nationwide. It is also available for purchase online through the Lamaze Amazon Store at a reduced price for Lamaze members. Bulk order discounts are available for childbirth professionals who would like to order copies for expectant parents in classes and care giving settings.
“What Lamaze offers women isn’t a ‘method’ but rather the confidence to stop worrying about and start believing that a woman’s body does birth best, and that every woman deserves patient, gentle, unwavering support through this process. This book gives women something new to ‘expect’: to be amazed at our own power and strength.”
– Jennifer Block, author of Pushed: The Painful Truth About Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care
“This is the first book that every pregnant woman should read before she makes any decisions about her maternity care. The information presented is clearly described, grounded in evidence, and gives a true picture of the reality of practices as they exist in today’s hospitals, birth centers and home births.”
– Marshall Klaus, MD and Phyllis Klaus, MFT, CSW
“A wonderful resource that provides the information, knowledge and skills to expectant parents who want to play a central role in their children’s births.”
– Penny Simkin, PT, CD(DONA)
“I wish I had been able to share this book with expectant families during my first 17 years of teaching and being a doula and I am grateful that it is available for all of my future clients. I thank you for your wisdom and for generously sharing it with us.”
– Ann Grauer, CD(DONA), PCD(DONA), LCCE, FACCE
“This is a superb book. It’s humane, funny, tender, down-to-earth and joyful. Essential reading for all pregnant women who seek autonomy in childbirth.”
– Sheila Kitzinger